Week 4: Simulations
www.thinkport.org
As I browed throughout the thinkport.org website, I found numerous activities and tools I could incorporate into my classroom. I have been studying ecosystems in my fifth grade science class and have been looking for ways to make the concepts more authentic. The first tool I found to be really helpful is the "Heating Up" activity.
"Heating up" Actities
This unit is full of worthwhile resources. There are activities, lesson plans, links to pictures, activities, additional weskits listed, and even a simulation of a forest fire. It includes chart makers and other user friendly technologies to enhance the topic. I can definitely simulate the effect of a fire on ecosystems in my classroom using this resource.
Elementary Ecosystems
Thinkport.org also linked to this activity that creates a "microecosystem". This simulation activity is perfect for year-long observations about ecosystems. My class already uses 2 liter bottles to create an "Eco-column" with a terrarium and aquarium for a unit, but this would be a great idea to keep active all year long.
This website is a great way to add new ideas, resources, activities, and simulations to any classroom. I suggest that all educators look into the educational treasures of Thinkport.org.
Interesting stuff.
ReplyDelete